19 June 2010

McTavish and the Mexican

After reading Bob's book oldfartsurfer Mexican got pretty excited.  A couple of tacos and some hot chillies and he was mumbling "gotta get me a McTavish, gotta get me a McTavish " repeatedly.  The Mex did his research, found the web site for the impressive sounding McTavish Surf International Pty Ltd in Byron Bay, and, in response to the site's suggestion to ask for advice, the Mex sent an email asking for advice on what type of board would best suit him.  This is what the Mexican asked:

I’m 53 so starting to get slow to my feet. Have also moved from 75kg to 82 kg mmmm – better lose some. Have been riding a Webber 6’6” Afterburner which is great once I’m up and get my feet in the right spot but that only happens half the time or less so ends in a bit of frustration. I’ve got to admit it and go for something a bit longer. I’ve got an 8’8” mal that works really well in small stuff around the local point but I can’t carve on the average beach break.



My mate and I built a few hollow timber boards, he a 6’8” fish, me a 6’8” rounded pin with a lot of volume. Its OK, easy to paddle but a bit stiff and doesn’t accelerate.


Looking at your range I reckon your Carver or the Carver Fish look about right but the Bobsled might do the trick.

What do you reckon?
After a couple of days the Mex received the following response from none other than the General Manager of McTavish Surf International Pty. Ltd. with the following advice:

Thanks for your email. I think one of our shorter models with a bit of volume would be ideal for you, without transitioning to anything too big. The Carver is a good all-rounder for both beach and point-breaks, and you could go for something around 7’2” x 21” x 2 7/8”. The Bobsled is another option, and is still buoyant enough to get plenty of waves, but is also quick and loose. For the Bobsled I’d recommend about 7’0” x 21 ¼” x 2 7/8”. The Bobsled is more suited to beach and reef breaks, waves with a bit more push. I hope this helps out, and please feel free to email back with any further questions.

Well you can probably guess, the Mexican was, to use a grommet term, frothing with excitement.  "McTavish wrote to me, McTavish wrote to me" the Mex muttered.  But is wasn't all 3' and glassy for the Mex.  He was now tormented by the choice he was offered.  He couldn't sleep and lay awake all night for a week with "Bobsled or Carver, Bobsled or Carver" going round and round in his head.  Finally he made his choice.  "I like to catch waves and I like to surf a short board so my choice is the 7' Bobsled" said the Mexican.
One important thing the Mexican did in his order was to ask for his traditional board marking of a green swoosh through his board just like his original design on his first sponsored Oceans surfboard.  "by incorporating the traditional swoosh, I am paying homage to oldfartsurfculture" said the Mex, "oldfartsurfing cultural heritage is very dear to my heart"  Another critical request was to ask for the Old Farts Surf Co. decal to be placed on the Bobsled, a stroke of marketing genius and a sign of his allegiance to his current sponsor.
(The Mexican's first sponsored board, a 1978 vintage Oceans 6'6" swallow tailed twinnie with his trade marked green swoosh, a fine example of oldfartsurfing cultural heritage)
The Order has been placed, funds have been transferred and the decals have been posted.  Current attempts to ascertain if the decals have arrived have, however, are proving frustrating.  The Mex is planning to meet up with Spot in Brisbane next weekend and drive to Byron to pick up his new weapon of choice.  McTavish Surf International Pty Ltd have said that they will endeavour to get the board ready in time.  A phone call by Mex on Friday ascertained that the order had made it into the production system, but how far it is through the surfboard crafting process is currently unclear.  The Mex is getting excited and agitated and currently muttering "I hope its ready, I hope its ready, I really really hope".  We'll keep you posted as delivery day gets closer.
Click here for the previous post on the McTavish Bobsled.
Click here to tell the Oldfartsurfer what you really think.

No comments: